Skip to main content

Spirit-led Parenting


DISCOVER HOW TO RAISE YOUR CHILDREN WITH PEACE, JOY, AND CONFIDENCE.


I’m convinced that parenting is the toughest job on the planet, but also the most rewarding. Over the years I have discovered that there are basically two ways to parent: in our own strength or by God’s grace. I’ve tried both and found the difference between the two to be simply amazing!

I spent the first nine years of my twin girls’ lives pilling on the rules to produce good girls. Somehow, I felt safe with rules, but I went so overboard with them that they ended up first frustrating all of us!

Despite everything I was doing, I was a very insecure parent. I had a lot of fear that I wasn’t going to cover all the parenting bases and my kids would grow up and turn out bad. Instead of putting my trust in God and leaning on His grace to raise them the right way, I was putting my trust in my methods of parenting.

I didn’t trust truly understand grace until about two years ago, and before that, I rarely consulted the Holy Spirit about which direction He wanted me to follow. Why would I ignore amazing help from my amazing Helper? Well, I can honestly say I didn’t understand what I was doing because my mind was so clouded by legalism. I really was deceived.

I had serious misconceptions about God, convinced He was standing over me, watching and waiting to catch me anytime I made a mistake. These misconceptions carried over into my parenting, and far too often I treated my girls the same way I mistakenly thought God was treating me.

Thankfully, early in 2012, after experiencing s radical life transformation through a revelation of grace, God began to teach me how to parent by leading of the Holy Spirit. As each parenting situation would arise, He taught me how to shut down what my mind was screaming for me to do, which was based on my old list of rules, and how to slow down and wait on Him before moving forward.

Here’s one example of a wonderful result we experienced when I followed the Holy Spirit’s wisdom rather than my own rules: We homeschooled our girls. One day our daughter Starr was having a bad attitude about a math assignment she and Angel were working on. She felt like she was lagging. I wasn’t putting pressure on her, but she was putting it on herself. When she gets pressured, just like most of us, she tends to mistreat her sister or be sassy with me. I was SO ready to make her face a consequence, but thank God, because of the changes He had made in my life because of embracing His grace, I was learning a completely new way to parent. I was learning how to parent with the wisdom of the Holy Spirit. I waited a moment and felt He was speaking to my heart to “just talk to Starr.” Instead of accusing her, I simply said, “Angel is so good at math and I am terrible at it. I am so dumb.”

This experience was such an eye opener for me, and I will never forget it. Because I followed the leading of the Holy Spirit, we had a wonderful conversation and I was able to extinguish the lies the devil was telling Starr and replace them with encouragement. As John 14:26 says, the Holy Spirit is our Counselor Helper, Strengthener and standby, and “He will teach you all things. “He always knows so much better than we do!

It’s difficult for me to put into words the enormity of the change in our home since we have replaced living by the rules with living by the leading of the Spirit. Now, as I stay submitted to the Spirit in my parenting, something I’m led to say something, sometimes share a scripture, sometimes give a consequence, sometimes just talk it out, sometimes simply give a hug, and sometimes He has me do nothing at all except be quiet and let Him work.

And not only do I choose to parent by the Spirit, but now I also make it a priority to teach my girls how to follow the leading of the Spirit for themselves. I believe it will be a lifelong blessing to them.

God’s grace has taken our family light-years beyond anything a list of rules ever could. And I am having so much fun learning to have the mind of the Spirit about parenting rather than depending on my own mind.

Spirit-led parenting is an adventure and it takes the pressure off us as parents, because we no longer must try to figure out how to do the toughest job on the planet all by ourselves. We can simply listen…follow…and repeat!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hit The Delete Button

The other day I was watching Joel Osteen on television and he was talking about deleting negative things people may say about us. A lot of times we accept negative criticism that people say to us like, “you are never going to amount to anything in life; you’re never going to be the person you think you  are going to be when you grow up (doctor, lawyer, etc.)”.  When people keep talking about us negatively and we listen, we start believing it. We start saying to ourselves that I would never ever be able to do that. I don’t have the capability to do that at my skill level. Now we’re so deep in our own negative thoughts that down the line we’re never going to be who God called us to be in life. Instead of receiving negative comments from people, we need to delete them. You ask how, by saying the opposite. I will be that when I grow up. I am at that skill level to get that job. Never give up when you’re trying to reach your goals. When people say no never give up and keep pushing towa

Watch God Work!

By: Joyce Meyer Moses told the people, Fear not; stand still (firm, confident, undismayed) and see the salvation of the Lord which He will work for you today… The Lord will fight for you, and you shall hold your peace and remain at rest.                                                                                       Exodus 14:13-14 We have free access to God. We can go before Him anytime we want to. We don’t need a special invitation. The throne room is always open, God is always home, He is never napping or on the phone. We can go boldly, expecting Him to meet our need and do it willingly and joyfully. No doubt millions of people pray, but the question we want answered is, how do they pray? Do they pray expectantly, boldly, fearlessly, confidently, aggressively, or ashamed, condemned, asking for barely enough to get by on and seriously doubting if they will even get that? You go, girl! Start praying like you have never prayed before. Believe that God wan

Wanted: Guest Bloggers & New Followers

As you know “My Unique Girlz” is a place to share inspiring and uplifting posts that will help others in their everyday life. I want to give my fellow bloggers and readers the opportunity to guest post on my unique girlz. Also share fun facts, recipes and life changing stories. If you are interested please send me an email (myuniquegirlz@hotmail.com) with your ideas, with Guest Blogging in the subject line. Looking forward to hearing from you! Dear New Followers , I just wanted to thank you guys for the great comments you are leaving on my post. Thanks for following “My Unique Girlz” and I pray that this blog is encouraging and helping you in your everyday life. I’m always looking forward to reading your post also, they are really good too J . Inside scoop: First Giveaway coming soon!